So...what do you think?

Monday, September 6, 2010

Le Comics du Web

I used to read the comics in the newspaper a while ago. This was back in 2002-2004, when the internet wasn't as archaic as it was when I was in junior high, but not the mammoth marketplace of information and entertainment that it is today.

When I went off to college in 2004, I stopped bothering with the actual newsprint and started reading all my comics in one place: www.comics.com.

One day, to my utter horror and dismay, my favorite comic strip was discontinued. The disclaimer notified me that the author had decided to start his own website...so every day I would visit two sites; one for the usual newspaper comics and one for the guy who just had to be a loner. As the days went by he started expanding past the usual 3-4 panel strip and started running full Sunday sized comics in the middle of the week. I was dumbfounded. How on earth was this strip going to run 6 large frames in a normal newspaper? It wouldn't fit, and no newspaper I knew would allow it.

It was then I realized that this was a new breed of graphic medium, and I had stumbled onto something that I never even thought could exist:

The webcomic.

Ordinary people with more than ordinary artistic abilities were able to run a comic on a website and make a living from doing so. I knew people like Scott Adams and Jim Davis had become rather famous (and wealthy) from the popularity of their strips, but that was because so many newspapers carried them that they were able to publish strip compilations and branch into novelty advertising (anyone remember those suction-cup footed Garfields in the windows of stationwagons?)

But this, this was different. This was one comic, on one website, funding the artist's livelihood through the power of the internet and the strength and generosity of the fanbase. To me, it was unbelievable; and today, it's a growing market.

The following are my personal favorite comics, with a little something about them or why I like them. Most have their own lists (on site) of their own favorites, so if you feel inclined to check one out feel free to expand even further.

Comics.com
-Pretty self explanatory; any comic you'll find in your newspaper, you're likely to find there.

Ctrl+Alt+Del
-A very heavily gamer based comic, it follows three friends and the impact gaming has on their lives (with an alternate, fairly rare science fiction story arc). I am by no means a gamer, but I've held my own in serious conversations with gamers just from reading this one.

Hijinks Ensue
-I have a love/hate relationship with this one. The dialogue is so bizarrely witty that I eventually wander back to it from time to time. The artist claims that it updates three times a week (changed from "Every Mon/Wed/Fri"), but most times you're lucky to see 1-2 comics every week and a half. The artist gets his inspirations from actual technological/gaming/entertainment news though, and I suppose that's a plus.

PvP Online
-Started out as another gaming comic (I seem to like them), this one slowly digressed into more of a social/popular technology critique with sitcom drama overtones. Odd description, but it makes for a fun read.

Least I Could Do
-If you ever wanted a comic about a man-whore with a very candid personality, this one's for you. Not necessarily NC-17, because the artist never really draws anything risque, but I wouldn't recommend it for young children.

Looking For Group
-Written by the same duo who do Least I Could Do, "Looking for Group" is a World of Warcraft/Dungeons and Dragons spoof comic featuring an altruistic elf and an undead warlock with ZERO morals. Great dialogue, but again not for young children.

Sheldon
-This is that spinoff that opened my eyes to the world of webcomics. It follows the exploits of a 10 year old boy who becomes a multi billionaire after writing a program that speeds up internet traffic, the grandfather that raises him, and his anthropomorphic duck. Very, very witty dialogue and amazing use of shading and fonts to convey emotion through written word. I highly recommend this one.

AF Blues
-If you're in the AF, you should know this one- the unofficial webcomic of the US Air Force that follows Capt Ken "Barbie" Dahl, F-22 pilot extraordinaire. Funny for those who aren't militarily inclined as well.

Wondermark
-If they had webcomics in the Victorian era, Wondermark would be the chief among them. The artist uses digitally scanned wodcuts and illustrations from the 1800's and adds his own script. Hillarity ensues. If you like steampunk, the 19th century, beards, and top hats, this one's for you.

XKCD
-Who knew stick figures could be so well drawn? What this one lacks in "art" it makes up for in content. Combining mathematics, computer programing, statistics, poetry, physics, popular culture, and (believe it or not) romance, XKCD makes for one complete black and white package. I used to hate it (thinking it drawn too crudely), but I've come to include it amongst my favorites.

Scenes from a Multiverse
-This one is the newest of the bunch, but still good. Mon-Thu you see a humorous glimpse at some random zone in the multiverse we live in, and on Fri the artist uses a "repeat destination", which is chosen by the voting readers. Anyone can vote, and anywhere can be Friday's strip. Good gimmick (because it keeps the readers participating in the production process), and it feels a bit like a Rubes or a Far Side (with its lack of solid story arc and constant re-invention).

Evil, Inc.
-This one had a great opening idea: what if supervillians were tolerated because they ran their businesses legally? Evil Inc. was formed, and that changed how villains and heroes interacted. Unfortunately, the comic has slowly become a bit of a soap opera (replete with extremely long story arcs), and it's lost that original creative spark. Maybe it'll come back with a good business merger.

Questionable Content
-This one is the antithesis of any gaming comic out there, and it's arguably my favorite. Take one part Seinfeld, one part Friends, one part indie subculture, and absolutely NO political correctness, and you have QC. The women in the cast far outnumber the men (which may or may not be a bonus, depending on what you like) and the art is continuously improving. Everytime the artist is sick, he substitutes your normally scheduled comic for a static bird (ironically named "yelling bird") who says things that would make Sara Silverman blush.
If Least I Could Do was not for children, this one should be kept higher out of reach of the little ones. The strip's title is not just for decoration.

I grew up on Dilbert, The Far Side, Garfield, Peanuts and most importantly, Calvin and Hobbes. From time to time I find myself amazed that I consider most of the webcomics I read to be more interesting, if not simply better drawn and written, than the old black and white paper funnies. Times change. People change. I'm sure the comic industry will change right along with them. Who knows what we'll be reading in 10 years? Who knows what we'll be reading next week?

As long as it interests us, we'll keep our eyes on it; and if it's funny enough, we'll keep coming back for more. Thankfully it doesn't cost me 50 cents a day to read Questionable Content, and I plan to get my daily dose of that one for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment